Sunday, December 11, 2005

Suse 10 on HP ZE1250

I went back and forth with Linspire support for over a week and they were not able to cure the DCOP server error problem. It has to be something specific to the ZE1250 hardware because I have Linspire loaded on several other computers and I do not have a similar problem.
I finally gave up on Linspire (at least on the HP) and loaded Suse 10. I really like Suse, it is a very polished distro, the problem I have had with it in the past is hardware detection and configuration. I am still haunted by that in Suse 10. I have about five wireless cards, all but one works in Linspire (it's a Microsoft wireless card, go figure). I can get only one of them to work in Suse 10. I can get two G wireless cards to work in Linspire and none in Suse. I have tried ndiswrapper and it did not work. I checked forums and I only found one post where someone got ndiswrapper working and he did not post how he actually did it. I was actually going to buy the Linuxant driver, but the demo would not work. I do have a B wireless card that works in Suse and that is good enough for now. I plan on messing with ndiswrapper in the future.
The second headache I have is the touchpad, it is so erratic in both Suse and Linspire. Linspire is usable, in Suse it is almost a deal breaker. I use to have instructions for editing the /etc/fstab file, like I said "use to". The instructions were for an older version of Suse and probable will not work with 10. I finally found a post that helped me. I can install ksynaptic and use it to fine tune my touch pad. I did it and it worked. The touchpad is almost perfect now, it is a little glitchy in Firefox, but not bad.
The really irritating thing is I cannot get any emulation software to work in Suse 10. Win4Lin 4.5 needs the kernel patched, I did it and it did not work. I cannot believe that Suse does not have a Win4Lin kernel. I could upgrade to the newest version of Win4Lin, but I would have to install Windows 2000 and I do not own a copy. VMware does not work, there is an issue vmmon. I haven't found a fix and I am not sure that I will. It is irritating that I have expensive emulation software that is no longer usable. I do have the newest version of Crossover Office, but it is not working with Suse 10, of course. I have a ticket in and will probably hear back Monday. I really do not need to run Windows software on Linux so I am going to take a deep breath, relax and use my Suse install as is.

No comments: