Sunday, December 25, 2005

Merry Christmas??

It has been a good Christmas, but there have been some downsides (Linux and non-Linux related). Besides Christmas presents I had two large unexpected cash layouts. I had to stick $500 into my car and on Christmas eve day I got a $350 doctor bill for my knee surgery that I had done last July.

I have spent most of my spare time that I have had off of work trying to get any Linux disrto to work on my HP laptop. If you have read previous posts there must be weird hardware problem with the Linux 2.6 kernel and the ZE1250. Linspire would be the OS of choice, but I get DCOP server errors. I have done some research on the Linspire forums and some other people have the same problem and they seem to think that the error is caused by the sound server. I tried disabling it and I still had problems. I thought I got a hint from the Linspire support people that the problem was cause by CNR. I disable it, but I also had other problems, Mozilla would not work on a new install for some reason. My wireless cards were not working. I loaded and reloaded and could not get everything to work at the same time so I gave up. I was hoping to load Kanoatix, and I did but I could not get wireless working. I tried their ndiswrapper gui, but it did not work with the driver that I have for my DWL-G650 card. I tried madwifi-same thing. I think there is an issue with wep because I could not get any of my cards to work. I tried iwconfig commands to no avail. I had Suse 10 installed but Suse does not have a Win4Lin enabled kernel and I wanted to run Photoshop and several other Windows programs. I also could not get a G wifi card to work.
I finally out of desperation decided to try Mepis again. I figuered out a mistake I had made configuring the wireless cards, you have to go back to the first tab to actuvate the configuration. I have win4Lin installed and working. I also have a wireless G card functioning in Mepis. The only possibility of a crash and burn is that I am upgrading the OS as I type. I am hoping it works.
I almost gave up, as much as I like Linux I am tired if dicking around to get everything to work. If Mepis does not work, I was going to leave Linux alone (on this computer). This actually drives me crazy. Linux works great on my other computers, just not on this one.

No comments: