Sunday, November 20, 2005

Linspire Woes

I have Linspire intalled on four computers and it is either completely toast or partialy crashed on three. In a way this is OK because they have just released the latest version, so I migtht have been updating my compters anyway. On the other hand this is just an incremental upgrade so it is probably not worth wiping and installing. It is kind of strange, I have an old Ipaq desktop computer that I use for a music server along with a SMC music streamer. This computer is on most of the time and this is the computer that has no problems.
It is a little scarry that Linspire has performed so poorly. I mean Linux is suppose to be stable, but it has crashed like a big dog an three out of four computers. I tried thinking back to see if it was possibley something that I may have done and I don't think so. Could it be some nonCNR software that I loaded, possibly, because I have OpenOffice and Crossover Office loaded on all three computers, not to mention Win4Lin.
One of the computers that it crashed on is my HP Laptop. I have had problems with multiple Distros on this machine. I have the newest Linspire loaded and it is mostly working, but from time to time the desktop quits responding and I get a Klauncher cannt be reached via DCOP error message. I emailed Linspire support and got a reply that I don't think will work, but I will try it anyway. They want me to uninstall and then reinstall CNR, what the heck, it's worth a shot.
Reguardless I don't want to give up on Linspire, it is more than just an OS. I am really hooked on CNR, they have it well organized, you can peruse software by catagory, most popular, newest, and they even have software you can buy. I am sure that if I had Debian installed I would be able to find most of the programs in the Debian repositories, but CNR makes it so much easier to find the newers and best software.
CNR is probably the main reason that I have not installed another distro on that laptop. If I was to load Mandrake of Suse on the laptop I would not have the access to all of the extra programs that I have with Linspire. Sure, they come with five CDs, but that pales in comparison to CNR. If I wanted to be really radical I could install Synaptic and enable the Debian repositories, that would give me even more software to choose from. Of course I don't use most of the programs that I have, so that would be sort of rediculious.
Linspire has CNR and Mandrake has Club Mandrake, since I have paid for CNR I don't want to shell out more to for Mandrake. I have loaded Open Suse on the laptop but there are some serious shortcomings that I don't want to take to time to overcome. Such as no MP3 support, no 3D drivers for my video card, no playing encripted DVD, and so on and so on... There are workarounds for all of this but I am spoiled and if I can find a distro that includes all the above out of the box, that is the distro that I am going to go for.
I do like Kubuntu a lot, but it is the same story as Open Suse when it comes to getting all of the functionality that I need. I did try Ubuntu, a very nice distro, but I just do not like Gnome. It is not as mature as KDE.
I just bought the full version of Suse and I am expecting it to arrive this week, the timing is beautiful because I have Thanksgiving week off so I will have plenty of time to tinker.
If I cannot get Linspire to function normally on my HP laptop, then I will throw Suse 10 on and I should be able to find most ot the programs that I find in CNR by using Yast or Apt for RPM. It woun't be the same as Linspire, but I will have to live with it.

No comments: