Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Still diggin VMware...(so far)

Per the blog title, I am still diggin VMware. I bought a 512 meg stick of ram to get my computer up to 1 gig. Set the ram for my Suse 10 VM to 700 meg ( I don't plan on doing anything in Windows while running Suse). I am a little disappointed, Suse doesn't seem that much faster with the extra ram.
I am still trying to get VMware tools to work in Linspire. I found instructions posted on the Linsire website to install VMware tools in Linspire. I didn't have the correct compiler installed so it did not installed correctly. I need to uninstall and try it again. Linspire is soooo sloooow without vmware-tools.

I was able to install Vmware tools into Linspire, but I think it broke the OS. I can still boot into Linspire but it is the wrong resolution and it is still slow.

The coolest thing about Vmware are the community built virtual machines. What a great way to try a Linux OS without partitioning and installing.

Since I started playing with VMware they have released a free version of EXP server. This is great! At one time I actually did pay $100 for VMware, I was disappointed, it was limited as to which Linux you could easily install it into, and while it was cool to run XP in Linux, it was much slower than Win4Lin (Win 98). At this point many of the newer programs will not run in Windows 98 so Win4Lin is less and less of an option. Anyway it's nice to get a free version of Vmware to play with. While I am excited about able to easily run multiple virtual machines I am not sure this is the be all end all road to Linux. The performance hit is a big issue. Surfing the net in Suse VM is just slow enough to be annoying. I could install a low resource version of Linux like DSL, I would thing surfing the web would be faster.

No comments: