Saturday, February 11, 2006

The Problem with Windows

Per my previous post, I have been using VMware to run Linux. This means that my main OS is Windows and I am running Linux as the guest OS. This is very cool because once I am into both OSes I can jump back and forth between OSes (without having to reboot of course). I decided to go with Windows as my main OS because of Photoshop and Dreamweaver, both programs will work in Linux but they run a little bit better in their native OS. I actually feel a little guilty using Windows as my main OS.
The XP partition on my desktop computer was only about a month old when I loaded VMware on it. Unfortunately, I had not yet loaded anti-spyware or anti-virus programs on it. I did have the Windows firewall turned on, but I picked up some nasty viruses and spyware. I thought I was going to have to reloaded Windows. I eventually got rid of them, but it took some doing. This just reminded me how vounerable Windows is. I have used Linux for years and I have also ran virus checks and never found one virus in Linux.
The other problem I have is with a Windows program, Music Match Jukebox. They are really a sleazy company, years ago they tricked me into buying a lifetime upgrade. I have not used it for years, but I need the program to work with the server on my SMC music beamer. I had temporarily set up Music Match on my laptop to act as a server for my SMC box. Of course, as soon as you start the program, they want you to buy an upgrade, but I thought- no problem, I have a lifetime upgrade. I entered my upgrade serial number and the program kicked it out. I had to email Music Match and they reactivated the serial number, but never explained why my "lifetime upgrade" serial number did not work. I had problems again today, I entered my serial number and supposedly I have the full version, but I don't have the features that I am suppose to have. The other problem that I have is I ripped a CD to my hard disk, and Music Match would not play any of the songs after it finished ripping and there is now a folder on my hard drive that I cannot delete. I tried rebooting and I still cannot delete the folder. What a great program!! The other problem I have with Music Match is how it looks up the CD information. I like Lsongs, a free program, it's CD look up is light years ahead of Music Match.

No comments: