Sunday, April 06, 2008

PCLinuxOS Sucks (not really)


I recently bought a new laptop, you can read about it here. Since I am a Linux geek I was careful to check that the hardware was compatible with Linux. The chip set and video card is made by Intel and according to this web site Intel open sources the drivers. Fantastic! I have an older HP laptop that has a funky TwisterK video card that still does not have Linux drivers and never will.

You know what they say when you assume, if not ask your parents and they will tell you hoe the rest of the saying goes. You would think opens source drivers would mean a well functioning video card, well I should have checked some forums before I bought the laptop. Apparently there is a bug, and I don't think anyone is to blame. From what I have been able to find there is a problem between the Intel video drivers and the fancy Compiz 3d interface for Linux.

I had installed my favorite distro, Linux Mint Darnya. It was great for a while but after getting use to the Aero eyecandy in Vista I was itchy to get compiz working on the laptop. I had compiz working a little on my old laptop so I knew what compiz could do. Unfortunately it was too buggy to be functional.

I thought for sure PCLinuxOS 2008 would be the distro that would give me the fancy 3d interface. I had installed earlier versions and liked them alot. PCLinuxOS was short lived on my laptop, it could not do something that other Linuxes had done, configure the wireless card. I was shocked, how could every other version of linux configure my wifi card but not PCLinuxOS 2008?

Oh well I will keep looking.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You should try Ubuntu 8.04, we've worked around the problems the X3100 had with compiz so it is enabled by default.