Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Suse Sucks

I really like the look and feel of Suse Linux, but I have had problems for years with hardware in Suse. I was hoping that Suse 10.2 would be different. I installed it on several of my laptops and I really like the feel of it but I cannot get any of my wireless cards to work and if I do not have internet access it is a deal breaker.
I read earlier that Suse was not going to include any non-free software in their latest release, from a nonprogrammer point of view, this is a big mistake. I know you can add repositories and install proprietary drivers but it just did not work. I even tried ndiswrapper and it would not work. I had PCLinuxOS loaded on the same laptop and I was able to use ndiswrapper to set up the same wireless card that would not work in Suse. I just don't understand why Suse with all of those developers cannot get ndiswrapper to work and PCLinuxOS with apparently only several developers can!
The bottom line is that Suse is a really slick looking distro but I cannot get even one of my five wireless cards to work in it and I can always get at least one in just about every distro that I have tried.
The kicker in is worth mentioning, I really like it at first, that was why I spent so much time scouring the forums trying the get any of my wireless cards working. I though the design with tabs was ingenious, but I was sick of it and ready to go back to the old style kicker by the time I gave up.

No comments: